Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Hoodoo I Do



Last week, while browsing through amazon.com, I came across The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook by Denise Alvarado. As a harmonica player who kept on encountering references to Hoodoo in blues songs, I've decided to give it a go. After all, I'm a chaote and it's about time I experiment with something new. Frater UD mentioned in High Magic II that the African and Caribbean magical traditions have a reputation of being very potent.

Last Saturday, I borrowed a copy of the aforementioned book from a friend. For a good start, I've decided to work with a Catholic house blessing prayer and a portion of the Psalms. I know that some of you think I have sold out and turn Catholic again but listen to me. Hoodoo has been heavily influenced by Catholicism when the white masters forced it upon the African slaves to quell their ancient spiritual practices. The forced conversion failed to yield the result the slavemasters were aiming for. Instead, Catholic beliefs has been syncretized with African spiritual concepts thus born the religion Voodoo and its magical trad Hoodoo. In Hoodoo, God is the ultimate magician and the Bible is a mighty spellbook/talisman hence I'm not using Christian beliefs as a Catholic. I'm using Christian beliefs as a Hoodooist. If I can't make hoodoo work just because it has smacks of Christianity then I fail as a chaos magician.

So anyway, a few hours after I recited the house prayer and the Psalm for bringing fortune into the home, I found a dying cockroach on top of my altar. It was rare for me to see a dying cockroach in my ancestral house. The next morning upon waking up, I saw another dying roach near my altar. From that moment, I knew it was no mere coincidence. Even up to now, I'm experimenting with Hoodoo more often. I prayed to the Seven African Powers and even made my first mojo bags. Lets see what happens in the next few weeks. Lets just hope that Papa Legba isn't trolling me.




Glossary:

Hoodoo: African-American folk magic tradition
Voodoo: A syncretic religion involving Catholicism and African concepts and practices
mojo bag: a talisman in Hoodoo described as a "spell in a bag".
Papa Legba: A loa or Voodoo spirit who guards the gateway between the normal world and the world of Voodoo spirits.



magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic magick magic

No comments:

Post a Comment